Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Gallery Hopping in Chelsea

In the March 15th edition of the Wall Street Journal, I read about an exhibit by Yuriko Yamaguchi at the Howard Scott Gallery just a few blocks from our apartment. We are absolutely surrounded by galleries, and I never seem to find the time to visit them. So today, spurred on by the WSJ, I did.

On my way, I stopped by David Zwirner's much-hyped new space. It's an incredible building, though the current show is a bit beyond me. Sherrie Levine has taken over the second floor. Some of it I don't get at all:

And other things, like this beach ball and the pig below it, I absolutely loved.




Unfortunately, her art starts at $185,000 and goes up to $750,000, so I'll never own any.

A view of the staircase from below:


And the base of the staircase, with a mirrored sculpture


Me in the mirror


After that, I headed over to 529 W. 20th to check out the Howard Scott Gallery. The great thing about 529 is that it's a 10 (or so) story building filled with galleries and architecture firms. So I started on 7 with Howard Scott, and worked my way down a floor at a time. The Yuriko Yamaguchi show wasn't over-sold--the sculptures are light and airy, and they seem to float off the walls.





ACA Galleries has a show on until April 2 called Paper Through The Ages. In this gallery, you can see large-scale works by Frank Stella:




And small-scale works by George Bellows, Joseph Stella, John Singer Sargent


Jan Matulka (I love this)


And Lyonel Feininger


I stopped at a lot of other galleries while I was in the building, and saw a lot of other works by famous artists, but my favorite painting by far was by a painter I've never heard of. Merced River, 2015 by Tai-Shan Schierenberg at Flowers Gallery. It was sold (and $65,000) but I still covet it. I could stare at it all day.


There are so many galleries around here, who knows how many other hidden gems there are? Maybe someday I'll find one I can actually afford...


No comments:

Post a Comment