Thursday, May 4, 2017

Things to do in NYC now (I mean it - some of these will be gone in a matter of days!)

Since it's been forever since I posted anything, this week I'm posting twice. One will be the things I've done that you can still do (if you hurry), and the other will be a record of the rest of my year (so I can remember it when I'm old). So here's some cool NYC stuff you should run and do...

1. Vanity Fair at the Pearl Theatre - I saw this show yesterday, and it was incredible. It's the second show I've seen that was a Kate Hamill adaptation of a beloved novel directed by Eric Tucker.  The first was Sense and Sensibility a couple of years ago at the Judson. It was a total romp. This one, at my favorite little theatre in town, was reminiscent of the first--lots of moving parts (literally) and an incredible cast playing multiple roles--but this one included a breaking down of the fourth wall, as well as references to modern music videos. Plus, it includes one of my favorite local actors, Zachary Fine. Running time is 2 hours and 45 minutes including a 15-minute intermission. It closes May 27th, so get your tickets now.


2. The Exhibition of Black Fashion Designers at The Museum at FIT - I was in the neighborhood a couple of weeks ago, so I stopped in. I'm so glad that I did. There were two exhibits on display that day - one of French fashion from the 1957-1968, which has since closed, and this exhibition. The clothes on display range from the familiar (to me) like Sean John and Tracy Reese and those I'd never heard of. (I'm not really that familiar with fashion designers, so that's no surprise.) The museum isn't a large one, so you don't have to have a ton of time to be able to experience the whole show. It closes May 16th, though, so hurry!

Designs by Patrick Kelly and Dura Olowu

3. If you're a JMW Turner fan, the show at the Frick is worth a visit. The two massive Frick Turners, views of the harbors of Dieppe and Cologne, are joined by an unfinished painting of Brest, on loan from the Tate. Three smaller oil paintings and a roomful of watercolors are also part of the exhibition. It closes May 14th. (The Frick doesn't allow photos of anything other than their garden court.) 

4. Matisse and American Art at the Montclair Art Museum (NJ) - This is an addition as of this afternoon. Henri Matisse had an outsized influence on many American modern artists. 19 works by Matisse are seen alongside 44 works by Americans including Andy Warhol, Faith Ringgold, Stuart Davis, Romare Bearden, Mark Rothko, and Roy Lichtenstein. No photos are allowed in the gallery where the Matisses hang, but in other galleries, you can see an exhibition by Janet Taylor-Pickett showing his influence on her work, and works from the MAM's permanent collection, including Davis, Bearden, Nick Cave, Lee Krasner, and Alex Katz. I didn't take many pictures, but I thoroughly enjoyed the exhibits. Montclair is a quick 35-minute NJ Transit trip to the Bay Street station, and then a mile walk to the museum through a town that won a Great American Main Street award in 2015. Next time, I'll plan to spend all day! The show closes June 18.

A Nick Cave soundsuit alongside a Friedel Dzubas (never heard of him before today!) and a couple of Jack Youngerman (ditto) prints

Detail of the Soundsuit

Designs carved into the hood of a Chevy truck

Rotunda with a sculpture by Wm. Couper and a Janet Taylor-Pickett dress

Janet Taylor-Pickett dress collage

5. Dale Chihuly at the New York Botanical Garden Don't miss this show!! Our very dear friend Larry Nee introduced me to the glass artist Dale Chihuly back in 2001 when he had a similar installation at the Chicago Botanic Garden. I've been enamored ever since. This is the third show I've seen, and it was incredible as expected. It just opened in late April and will be on display through the end of October. We'll be headed back with Ed's sister and her daughter for Chihuly at Night in June. I can't wait!! 






6. Green-Wood Cemetery / Sophie Calle - Obviously the cemetery isn't going anywhere, and Here Lie Secrets is another one that doesn't require you to rush. It's a public artwork that will be active for the next 25 years. The French artist Sophie Calle has been given a plot at Green-Wood for her use over the next 25 years. You write something secret on paper, and insert it into the grave. Each time the grave fills, she'll open it and burn everything inside in a ceremonial bonfire. And then it starts all over. Green-Wood is a marvel in itself, a peaceful oasis in Brooklyn with incredible views of Manhattan and the Statue of Liberty, among others. My friend, Ann, and I spent a couple of hours exploring and taking a docent-led tour. Her photos are better, but here are a couple of mine...

Entrance to the cemetery

Charlotte Canda's tomb

Enjoy!!




No comments:

Post a Comment