Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Week one

Since I tried (unsuccessfully) last year to keep a journal of all the things Eddie and I did as denizens of the Big Apple, I thought I'd try blogging about it this year. We'll see if I'm more faithful to this genre than the other...

So I've been a New Yorker for all of two days now. New experiences on day one included ordering my groceries online from Fresh Direct (amazingly cost effective!), and ordering stuff from Container Store to help with the unpacking and organizing. (Lots of boxes on the way.) Once that was done, I headed to Hudson River Park to read. Edward gave me a copy of Catching Fire for my birthday, so it came along. I found a park bench and read until I thought I would melt in the humidity. Fortunately for me, I looked up and saw the storm-from-Jersey headed across the Hudson, and made it safely inside before the rain.

Eddie and I took advantage of Restaurant Week and had dinner at the Fig and Olive (www.figandolive.com) in the Meatpacking District. The chicken samosas were fantastic, and the chocolate pot de creme we had for dessert was ambrosia.

Today, I did Pilates on the High Line. They have a class every Tuesday at 10am, so I now have something on my to-do list each week till September. MC has been raving about it for years; I've never done it before. It was really fun, and I ended up in a photo shoot afterward. If any of the pics are worth seeing (or even have me in them) I'll post 'em later. I met two very nice older ladies from Stuyvesant Town on their first High Line trip who welcomed me to the City.

Eddie called to see if I was up for lunch, so we went to the 2nd Avenue Deli. They were one of the restaurants in the eat.shop.nyc book Trina gave me for my birthday, and Ed's always looking for a good pastrami sandwich. This one ranks as the best he's ever had, apparently. The host was incredibly friendly--he had been to KC for a fundraiser for a Jewish organization there; he attended a Mandy Patinkin concert at the Midland, stayed at the Muehlebach and explored the Plaza.

On the way home from lunch, I stopped off at DDC Designs to look for a lamp. (There's no overhead lighting in our living room.) Shopping for items for Ed "I'll know it when I see it" Gramling is a bit of a challenge, but they do have beautiful, modern things. Desmond was knowledgeable, helpful and promises to send me more pics of lamps for Eddie to see. I did a little random shopping on the way home, but I didn't find much.

Am waiting patiently for my Container Store delivery...More later.

No comments:

Post a Comment